Friday, July 23, 2010

A fear conquered

Short post today, because it's Friday, and I have to write MY LAST PAPER EVER (can't tell you how good that felt to type)!

Remember that post from a few weeks ago, the one where I waxed poetic about being afraid of the dark?

Well, I didn't conquer my fear of the dark, but I did conquer another fear.

Last night, I was home alone. Usually, when I'm by myself, I don't sleep well, if at all. I usually end up staying up until the sun starts to rise, and then I'll doze for a little while. This isn't a healthy habit, especially since I'm marrying a pilot, who will have to be away from home from time to time (duh).

Last night I was home by myself, and in stead of allowing myself to get lost in "what ifs" and freaking myself out, at midnight, I turned the TV off, rolled over, thought "happy thoughts" (as my mother used to tell me to do when I had a bad dream), and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning at 8:30, having slept the entire night (except for a minute when I woke up around 3 am, but that doesn't count since I fell right back to sleep).

I'm not sure if it was tough love, or exhaustion, that drove me to it, but it's reassuring. After the last fiasco trying to conquer a fear (where, if you recall, I didn't sleep. At all), it was nice to feel like I have some control over my precocious, overactive psyche.

Finally, if you have a few minutes and you want to see the cutest wedding cuppie-cake ever, check out The Knotty Bride's entry from yesterday (the entry itself deals with a heavy topic, but the cuppie-cake is to die for).

No comments:

Post a Comment