Monday, July 19, 2010

(belated) 11 months to go!/What I've learned so far

A couple weeks ago marked 11 months to go till the wedding. So far, I've (pretty much) enjoyed the wedding planning process (I'll probably feel differently in a few months). But, as with everything, this is a learning process, and there are a few things I've learned thus far. Part one of which is below. And it's about saving money.

Things I've learned about weddings (and how to save money while planning them) (so far)

1. If you can, have your wedding in the afternoon. Seriously, afternoon weddings cost FAR LESS than evening weddings. My reception location cut 50% of the rental fee (holy shit!) AND took $2 off per person. Let's say you are having 150 people at your wedding. That's $300 still in your pocket, now free to allocate to other things. (Also, we're saving $500 on the rental fee, just for having an afternoon reception.)

2. Never underestimate the power of people you are totally, totally friends with (or really people you kind of know or at one point knew). Now, I feel the need to clarify this, because there are certain people I mean, and there are certain people I really DO NOT mean.

Say you have a high school acquaintance who now owns a bakery/florist shop. Given they have good references/portfolios, you should definitely consider using this contact. Why? Because it's highly likely they will cut you a discount. Exhibit A: We've done business in the past with the photographer we're using (he did my brother's wedding, and he does all photography for my dad's Mardi Gras krewe). As such, I know he does an amazing job, and also, he cut us a 20% discount. On a photography bill of $2,000, that's $400 in the bank.

(If you're not keeping tabs or are bad at math, that's $1,200 saved.)

**Warning: I'm going to go on a bit of a soap box here. It's kind of an unrelated tangent, but something I firmly believe. Now, for instance, say your BFF has a photography/florist/bakery business on the side, and she/he totally wants you to use her. I would very much consider NOT using this friend. For obvious reasons, this could be a set up for disaster. Firstly, this is your wedding, and unless you have a very tight budget, springing for professionals is probably in your best interest. Professionals do these sorts of things for a living, as opposed to your friend, who might want to bake/photograph/arrange flowers professionally one day, but right now has to do it out of their house/apartment/condo.

I'm not saying your friend won't do as good of a job as a professional, but may I suggest to think about what you will do/think/feel if your friend delivers something subpar. To your wedding. It may not wreck your friendship, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think it won't mar it in some way.

If you really want them to contribute in some way, have them take your engagement shots, make a cake/decorate for the rehearsal dinner, etc. This way they get to be a part of your big day, but you don't have to worry as much. Win-win.

**End of tangent**

3. The last money related thing: Don't waste your money on those planners they sell in bookstores. Have you been to the wedding section at a bookstore recently? Half of the inventory is those wedding planners, and they sell for $30-$40 a pop. Ridiculous. Save your money. I bought a binder (pink, one of my colors) from Target for $3.50, and some fun dividers for $2.00. Bam! A wedding organizer/planner for less than $6.

I know what you are all thinking, "But you're missing out on all that info in those organizers!" I hate to break it to you, but alllllll of that info (plus more) is one simple Google search away. Seriously. Save your money. Get a manicure instead.

For those of you have already planned a wedding, what are some of your $$$ saving tips for us brides-to-be looking to keep some cash in the bank?

That's it for part one! Part two will go live sometime later this week, and it'll be all about what I've learned thus far about saving your sanity, equally important to saving money, sometimes more so! Also: A message in a bottle soon to be sent and hobbies to be explored. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment